Quick Facts on Microtiasolution21
Quick Facts on Microtia
- Microtia is an ear deformity that occurs one in every 6,000-12,000 births.
- Atresia means no ear canal.
- Microtia and Atresia usually occur together.
- Microtia occurs more often in boys than girls.
- Children with microtia and atresia usually have severe hearing loss on the affected ear.
- Although there is a hearing loss in children with microtia, the inner ears on both sides are usually normal.
- There are various options to help the hearing status on children with microtia and atresia.
- A bone-anchored hearing aid (BAHA) is an option to ear canal surgery to improve the hearing.
- Microtia can cause problems with self-esteem, so early intervention is highly recommended.
- Parents with microtia tend to have guilt over their child’s condition. It is not the parent’s fault!
- It is important to see a Genetics specialist in order to evaluate family history.
- It is felt that microtia may be caused by ischemia or decreased blood flow during development.
- The kidneys develop about the same time as the ears, so evaluation is commonly done prior to leaving the hospital.
- Intermittent hearing evaluations should occur in children with microtia.